Dorothy Blackham RUA
Dorothy Blackham is an artist that specialises in landscapes, townscapes and large–scale linocut prints. Born in 1896 in Dublin, she studied at the Royal Hibernian Academy Schools during the First World War and then at Goldsmiths, University of London. She has contributed linocuts for the Yeats sisters Elizabeth and Lily for their Cuala Press productions. Blackham came back to Northern Ireland in 1964 where she settled in Donaghadee until her death in 1975.
The artist has exhibited at the Royal Hibernian Academy over a period of thirty years, held one-woman shows in venues in Dublin such as the Stephen Green Gallery (1936 and 1943) and had work displayed with the Royal Ulster Academy, the Water Colour Society of Ireland and the Ulster Society of Women Artists. Between 1936 and 1943 she taught art at Alexandra College and The Hall School in Monkstown, she continued to teach when she relocated to London in 1947. After her death in 1975 both the Neptune Gallery Dublin (1977) and Queen’s University Belfast (1976) exhibited her paintings.