Charles Braithwaite was a landscape painter and craftsman born in Lisburn and was educated at the Government School of Art, Belfast and was then awarded a scholarship to South Kensington. At the Royal College of Art in London he studied art, craftwork and design.
In 1909, Braithwaite worked as a part time drawing master at Methodist College, Belfast. He worked here until his death by which time he had been appointed head of department. Between 1912 and 1929, Charles had showed 21 works at the Royal Hibernian Academy and became an associate in 1914. From 1909-1925, he was Honorary Secretary to the Ulster Committee of the Arts and Crafts Society of Ireland and also a member of the Guild of Irish Art Workers.
Towards the end of his life, Charles decided not to take part in artistic activities unless they were a part of his duty. In the Ulster museum today, we can see two of his works, ‘The Village Street’ and the ‘The Lake Isle of Innisfree’.