John Carey (1861-1943) was an animal and figure painter as well as an illustrator who spent most of his life at 12 Cyprus Park in Belfast working with the affairs of the Moravian Church, University Road. Having worked with Marcus Ward & Co and with his brother in Ernest Hanford, John first began to make his own career by designing the label for Camp coffee with a Scottish Highland.
In 1888 when he was a member of the Belfast Ramblers Sketching Club, he was commissioned to design the front cover of the exhibition catalogue. When sketching in Connemara, Carey travelled by train or bicycle and so was inspired by his surroundings.
John became partially blind and deaf towards the end of his life and on the 26th April 1943 he was knocked over by a bus and later died in hospital on the same day.