Douglas Alexander was a landscape painter born in Limerick. He first worked as an apprentice in J&G Boyd Ltd, wholesale merchants and then he moved to Dublin where he was employed full time as a lithographic by James Walker & Co printers.
Douglas was particularly influenced by the scenes of the West of Ireland, Connemara and spent a lot of his time producing oil and watercolour paintings of this subject. He has showed only two pictures at the Royal Hibernian Academy in 1935, ‘At Roundstone, Connemara’ and in 1938, ‘Bog Road’.
Also being a member of the Dublin Sketching Club, Alexander showed six pictures in the 1937 and 1938 exhibitions.